Apr 10, 2007

I Guess I'll Say It

I don't know what is more offending, the fact that Michael Richards and Imus said what they said (I'm really not offended because I won't give them that much power) or that they go to the so called "voices" of black people. What ever happend to apologizing to the people that you hurt directly instead of cowarding to the "publicity pimps" as if their the moral authority, judge, and jury on race relations. The fact of the matter in Don Imus's case, is that he's been doing this for a long time to Jews, women, and blacks and he should have been punished a long time ago.
I can only say that we as the "hip hop generation" should follow suit in the matter. How can we demand respect from others, in regards to our black women, when we (I've been guilty myself in the past) don't even have the same respect. On a positive note, what I did see in all this, was a group of women on the basketball team, represent themselves in a way that showed, publicly, how foolish Imus really was.




Nathaniel Peete Jr.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let me start off with this- 'everyone that is your color is not your kind'- Now, how can we as a people get someone fired for joking about a group of 'not -so-straight haired women? if Steve Harvey or any other black disc jockey would have said this it would have been a laughing matter! but we expect other races (whites) to just know what not to say,what not to do and or joke about! i think the ho' section was out of line because you have to know what that female is doing after her door closes to call her a hoe! (right?) I guess im saying this- we have to stop the double standard, if we joke about being nappy,darkskinned, refering to each other as NIGGAS instead of Niggers("cuz thats different"), what do you expect other races to do not laugh? Why are we to be the exception? The jewish dont EVER joke about their culture and people respect that. i think we are our own problem- (and the black leader of all coloreds-J.Jackson)